Count Engelbert von Berg

In the 12th century Count Engelbert von Berg expanded the mighty fortress. Engelbert was an important man with a great many ambitions: Archbishop of Cologne, Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire, a tutor of princes, a regent for Kaiser Friedrich II whilst he was residing in Italy – and at the same time the Count of Berg. He fell victim to an assassin in 1225 during a dispute about who should inherit the county.

Retreating Imperial troops destroyed Burg Castle and its surroundings at the end of the Thirty Years War in 1648, thereby sealing its fate. 200 years later the Prussian State sold the site and allowed it to be taken apart at will. By the mid 19th century this once proud castle was little more than a ruin. In 1887 local merchants, entrepreneurs civil servants, teachers and priests set up an organisation to rebuild the fortress on the Wupper. Their aim was to reconstruct an ideal castle site. The new building was completed in 1914. From then until today the society has been responsible for maintaining and using the site.